My Blog List

Friday, May 10, 2013

Saving Baby Birds!


Yesterday midmorning I was loading items into the Jeep walking back and forth from the deck and thus through the flower garden. After a few minutes I began to notice that the birds were fussing again. I immediately looked into the funeral basket on the deck, four feet from our back door, where the wrens have a nest of baby birds.

The thirty six inch long rat snake, I saw last week, was revolting coiled in the basket attempting to eat the baby birds. First, I screamed. Then I thought "What can I do?" Joe would have just picked him up out of there but I am a coward in that regard. CC handed me the broom and I tipped the basket over. The snake slithered off the hot tub and baby birds scattered all over the deck. It was pandemonium. We could no longer see the snake and the fluffy tiny birds who are incapable of flight were desperately trying to hide.

 I righted the basket and lo and behold about 100 second later the d@*% snake was back in the basket looking for the babies who were not there. He was searching with his repellent tongue.  CC and I were unsure what to do. We know that is the snakes nature. However we are for the underbird in this scenario.

Two of the baby birds went left hopping into the sunny yard aided by the parents. The others may have been under the deck and been taken by the snake. That snake is getting located to the Savannah River as soon as Joe finds him.

That same morning I saw two deer and a rabbit eating my roses. The flower garden is an exciting and happening place. Want to come over for tea in the garden?

Olive

22 comments:

  1. I gotta tell ya...I am terrified of snakes. But, saying that, I would have gone into 'mommy mode' and did the same thing. Hopefully, the little ones are still safe. Nature can be so cruel, right. I would love to join you for tea as long as that snake is long gone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have rat snacks too and I am beyong terrified of them....actually and kind of snake freaks me out!!! You are one very brave woman!!!!! I am so glad you were able to save the babies! Happy Mother's Day!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Olive, I am going to tell myself that ALL of the baby birds made it ok... I know snakes have to eat, but not birds!... I think I would have grabbed him and flung him but he probably would have come back as you said he did... I think the Savannah River is a much better place for him... thank you for looking out for all of God's creatures!... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I see crows try to eat eggs and babies in the nest, or a hawk perched on my deck I yell my motto. "Go be a hawk (or whatever) somewhere else!". I love nature, but I don't want to see them do their thing in my yard. At that point the snake would nave become a new belt for my hubbs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my heart in my mouth whilst reading this - I love wrens and I am so pleased that you were able to protect them Olive - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll enjoy your garden from a distance, Olive! LOL! I think I would freak if I saw a snake - whatever kind!

    Sorry it took so long, but your book went out this morning. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wild Life Kingdom! I also found one baby Cardinal in my yard this week. I don't know where it went, but the parents are gone too. I think they fled for the neighbor's yard when my dogs started sniffing around. At least that's what I hope happened.

    I don't deal well with snakes. He's lucky he lives in your yard, not mine.

    (funny how we assign the male gender to all snakes???!!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still breathing hard. Joe can offer that snake to a hawk and see how the snake takes that! Survival of the fittest in someone else's back yard is my motto.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL I love readng your posts..they highlight my day...
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heck no! I would be looking under my chair for snakes the whole time! Makes me squirm even thinking about him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very protective of "little ones" and that includes the birdies! I think you and CC did the best you could do . . . I hope Joe finds that snake and delivers him to a new home. And I hope each of the birds survived!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bad snake! I hate it when snakes get little birds. Poor little things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Calm yourself. Put on a pair of leather work gloves and remove the female rat snake from the basket and put her in a different place. As long as you are calm, she will be calm. This time of year, she may have babies. Baby birds unfortunately face terrible circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope that snake is now not in your domain! I would be petrified everytime I stepped outside just knowing he was in the area. Good idea to relocate him. I'm with you......save the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see snakes from time to time and my neighbors have fun laughing when I run and scream :-)
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so not a snake person...I love how you took watch over those babies...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope at least a couple of those babies make it!! Ugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, those poor baby birds! I'm so glad you're trying to save them. Snakes are so gross...I would totally freak out if I saw a long one like that anywhere near my house. I'm even afraid of little garden snakes! I hope Joe is able to relocate that nasty beast to the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have your own little "Hunger Games" going on out there, don't you? So glad you scared the snake off for a bit. Although they are a necessary part of the food chain in nature, they are not my favorite especially when they go after baby birds! Hopefully the babies will be taking flight soon and can stay out of harms way. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  20. And I thought I have my hands full? EEK!! I'm not to thrilled with snakes at all. I'll take a bunny any day! LOL
    I wanted to tell you your photos are just wonderful Olive.
    Have a wonderful Sunday!!
    xo Liz

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope all the baby birds survive and I thank you for not killing the snake. Maybe he found a mouse for dinner instead :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments. They are like finding unexpected chocolates. olive