My Blog List

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Doves

old city cemetary s'ville 2010 017

Doves,  on a head stone at the Old City Cemetery in Sandersville, Georgia. The Cemetery is on the National Register of Historic Places.

These doves have been here for well over one hundred years. What a touching tribute for the death of a  loved one buried here in the nineteenth century.old city cemetary s'ville 2010 016

Two little doves, snuggling as if it’s cold in this place.  The city has recently undertaken a restoration of this historic site. It also has  many angels, urns, ornate fences, and gates.old city cemetary s'ville 2010 011

Does anyone do this any more? Wrap a plot in this sort of fence?  This is a magnificent gate. Victorian wrought iron. The Victorians did wrought iron with gusto. Even at the end of life.

old city cemetary s'ville 2010 010

Thanks for joining me in a stroll through the Old City Cemetery. Just so you know we were quite alone and there was a slight breeze felt and seen blowing in the Spanish Moss.old city cemetary s'ville 2010 021

grace surrounds us

Olive

6 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone does that anymore - more's the pity. Such beautiful workmanship!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cemetery photos!
    I saw quite a few of those where the plots were enclosed inside a majestic old fence. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful old cemetery with so many lovely pieces of art to look at. It's true that people just don't create the beautiful monuments to their lost loved ones the way they once did!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've touched a chord, Olive! I do love me a cemetery. I invite you to my blog to read Bony, Bony Bonaventure. It was posted around the first of June. I've written down Old City Cemetery in Sandersville so that I can plan a visit! The wrought iron just takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Olive,
    Don't know why you were in town that day but thank you for visiting and saying such lovely things about our cemetery. Please come visit us again.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olive,
    Don't know why you were in town that day but thank you for visiting and saying such lovely things about our cemetery. Please come visit us again.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments. They are like finding unexpected chocolates. olive