My Blog List

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mansion Facade In Athens, Georgia


I arise in the morning torn
between a desire to improve
the world and a desire to enjoy
the world. This makes it hard 
to plan the day. - E.B. White 

That fine quote sums up my attitude about planning posts. 
Which, for the most part, are not planned at all.
This brings me back to the mansion in Athens, Georgia that I posted about last week.
I meant to share these images.

Here is the grand facade of the 1917 house on Prince Ave.


 The porch is magnificent.

 Many features are noteworthy.



Dental molding


Corbels


Columns



The front door is sort of plain but the columns are meant to stand out and not the door I imagine.




The house has been sold and the new owners are restoring it.

Thanks to all of you who visited me on this estate sale journey of mine.
I had several new visitors and many loyal friends came by as always.
You are the best.


may joy and peace surround you
Olive


16 comments:

  1. What a fun visit. Beautiful architectural details. I appreciate things like that very much. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always dreamed of a house with columns like this. Wonderful. Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning images today, Olive, and I love the quote at the beginning of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd call the details glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those columns are truly amazing:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those columns are magnificent!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your cheery new header, Olive! That porch looks like a yummy confection! You got FABULOUS photos. All that white makes me giddy! haha! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quote. :) and love your post on the architectural aspects of the house. I really need to go over to Athens. Haven't been there in a long time.
    Hope you had a great weekend,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I am so glad I found your blog! I am a new follower and I also live in a little yellow house! Come by and visit me at Home in Douglas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I chuckled at the E.B. White quotation! He does get right to the point!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter/blog partner went to UGA, and we loved the beautiful old homes there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Olive! I love those huge columns. Your blog is soooooo cute! Love the header.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all of the beautiful architectural detail on this house! Love your charming new header, too! Thanks for stopping by my "nice " post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder if they would mind if I chopped off one of those columns and put it in my living room? Those are beautiful. About the only place you see stuff like that around here is at the big Sorority houses and the huge houses in the more expensive area of town.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great quote and so true! What an amazing house. I always marvel at the craftsmanship in every little detail of old homes. They took such pride in their work back in the day.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love seeing this house in Athens. I went to school at UGA and I miss the old grand houses that are all in that town. Ahh memories.

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments. They are like finding unexpected chocolates. olive