My Blog List

Friday, August 16, 2013

Ginger Lily



The Ginger Lily (Hedychium spp) has bloomed.
It smells like a softer version of honey suckle.

This tall tropical plant is now about five feet tall and I have it tied to a wrought iron stake.


I thought it would be yellow. 
No.
 It's white and hard to photograph of course. 
They can be orange, white, or yellow and many colors in between.
Apparently mine is a tough specimen because Shelley, our German Shepherd, 
kept digging it up
 and sitting on it last year but it still thrived.

Ginger lilies grow in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 7 through 11, where they perform best in sun to partial shade. In warmer regions, morning sun is good but afternoon sun is too harsh for them and will make their leaves curl. They thrive in moist, acidic soil that is rich in organic matter. In cooler regions, you can grow them in containers or dig rhizomes after the first frost and store them indoors for the winter. Since their rhizomes will multiply, use containers with plenty of horizontal room for them to grow.

Care of ginger lilies obtained from: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/

For my gardening friends in the U.K. here is a site to check http://www.bigplantnursery.co.uk/

happy gardening
Olive



24 comments:

  1. Our dog Scout loves to eat the roots. Mine are thriving in the full sun. The migrating hummers will be flocking to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so pretty!!! My big dog likes to sit and lay on my flowers too! LOL
    Have a great weekend :o)
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty and I could probably grow them here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful blossom! Praise God for creating such gorgeous things for us to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! My ginger lily doesn't even have a bloom that I can find. I'm going out right now and look again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty Olive. Do you know what color you are getting when you purchase it? I think most plants are pretty hardy to our pets. I throw dead heads into the weeds and next year new flowers sprout up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Olive, That is very pretty. Really a tall flower. Shelly is a good gardener:):) Hope you are having great weather. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tough to photograph or no, lovely job. I looked at it for a long time. Now I need to see if they will grow in NE Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lilies of all kind. That one is very pretty! I love the photo with the drop of water on the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you certainly had no trouble capturing a beautiful photo of Olive dear! It is stunning! I am zone 4 so I guess I won't be planting it :( that must be why I have never seen one at the nurseries.
    It's a beauty!!!
    hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! I'm glad you got to enjoy the bloom:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your ginger lily is so pretty. I'm going to look for one at the garden center. The white is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely, I've never heard of these before!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of this beauty before! Lovely. Gotta catch up on your posts now...

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is beautiful. I was expecting it to be orange for some reason. Maybe the ginger part of the name. Tell Shelley to keep her butt off of it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful . . . a first for me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty Olive! White is the hardest color to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful plant, Olive! Thanks for telling us about it.

    I can never photograph my white flowers very well, either!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  19. That bloom is a beauty, Olive. I also like the photo with the water droplet and the way it catches the light.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope all is well, Olive. I know Cici was slated to leave. Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and the girl. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments. They are like finding unexpected chocolates. olive