My Blog List

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Strata



I have been testing breakfast recipes in anticipation of the arrival of TEN TEENAGERS on the weekend of March 2-4. Joe is the taste tester. He suffers through it if he must. The strata above was adapted from a Country Living magazine recipe in the January issue this year.

Tomato-Cheddar Strata with Broccoli
  • 4 1/2 cups 1-inch bread cubes (about three quarters of a French loaf)
  • Butter, for greasing dish
  • 6 ounces shredded Cheddar (about 1 1/2cups)
  • 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
  • 1 cup frozen broccoli florets
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
  • 8 large eggs
  • 3 cups milk ( I left this out of the original post edited on 2/26/12 see why I should not do this?)
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 4 ounces ricotta cheese (about 1/2 cup
  • 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
  1. Place bread in a buttered 9x13 baking dish. Top with 1 cup cheese, broccoli, tomatoes, and 1 tablespoon parsley.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture over bread and gently press to soak every cube. Add dollops of ricotta over top. Sprinkle strata with herbs de Provence and remaining Cheddar. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or up to overnight.
Remove strata from refrigerator and bring to room temperature, about one hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake until strata is puffed and lightly golden brown, about 1 hour. Set aside to cool 10 minutes. Garnish with remaining parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.



My Notes:

I used mozzarella because I had a lot and it is lower in fat. 
I had no ricotta cheese or parsley so I left them out. 
 It tasted light and delicious and Joe loved it.
It was quick and easy to make.
I cook all the time but sharing recipes makes me anxious for some reason.
Must work on this.


♥♥♥
Thank you for your comments yesterday about the camellias 
and yes they came from our flower garden.  
Our red ones are just about to bloom.


joy and peace
Olive

23 comments:

  1. I just saw on Everything Italian yesterday on TV Strata but it was a sweet desert type dish. I was going to try and alter it but did not know where to start and Wham-O! here is your post.
    I like your dish better and will have to try this. And look there, you have the perfect place to photograph this awesome dish! AND you have a willing taster too, what is your secret to getting Joe to taste said new dishes? I have to practically hog tie my hubby and shovel it down his throat. Sweet talk no longer works. BUT I am trying to make good dishes as he said my cooking was boring. I know I will be making this today as a side dish for tomorrow. Have frozen bread in the freezer....... Thanks for posting this. Don't be anxious, you did a super job. Good to know you did not have some ingredients and left them out and it still tasted good. I alter when I don't have and it seems to work.

    Oh brave one!!! 10 teens for 2 days....... I will issue up a prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh... this looks sooo good. I'm staying away from cheese or I would soooo fix this tonite for dinner. Just looks VERY good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I come and stay with you? These teenagers aren't going to want to leave if you feed them like that!!!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delish!

    I have a VERY similar cake stand.

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious, Olive, and pretty as well! I'm a fan of ricotta and imagine it would give a bit of a creamy texture. Clearly, the recipe is tasty even with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good Olive. This I will have to try. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that sounds yummy. I would love if you'd share more recipes. I would, but who would want to see me opening up the box and popping the Stouffer's lasagna into the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so delicious!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe...I will have to try it :o)
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wanted to make a strata...this looks SO good, Olive. Please share more recipes when you can. This is a good one!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks and sounds yummy!We love trying out new recipes here...this one sounds great!Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You better make two of those for ten kids. It looks yummmmmmy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the great meal idea. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am seriously going to make this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! Love the addition of tomatoes and broccoli:@)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks delicious except and very springy - perfect for an Easter Brunch!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Olive,
    This sounds and looks amazing, and if it's fast and simple ... you've said the magic words! We'd love to have you share the recipe at WIW, I'm sure everyone will be amazed.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  17. Olive..
    that looks yummy..I might even give it a try one day...
    I'm glad that Joe is such a willing taster. :-)

    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a perfect dish for lake weekends. Always looking for something I can put together quick. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this looks yumm-o
    seriously ...
    will try it for a weekend treat.

    I'm tired of the same ole' stuff in my fridge

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmm, looks and sounds delicious, I could tuck into that right now. Unfortunately for me cheese is off the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm, looks and sounds delicious, I could tuck into that right now. Unfortunately for me cheese is off the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummmmm!!! Awww poor Joe having to struggle through all that delicious food (Looks scrumptious!!) *winks* I wish I could be there to help him in this oh so difficult chore....I'm nice like that lol! I'm pinning this one Olive...I hope that doesn't increase your anxiety *winks* Vanna

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments. They are like finding unexpected chocolates. olive