My Blog List

Friday, June 4, 2010

Gothic Arches, Two Towers and An Egg

Joe and I stopped at this building while traveling one day. It is now some sort of a community center.  A church is it’s people is it not? No congregation no church. It made me sort of sad. I am glad the gothic structure is still in use.watkinsville church 2010 001

These arched windows. No one prays here . Well maybe they do. I hope so. Community please sing.watkinsville church 2010 008

These towers are small but regal. Just think babies were christened here. Country weddings held here. Do couples ride by and think or say “That’s where we got married.” Funerals held here. Sweet memories. Somber memories.watkinsville church 2010 003  

I have always been drawn to small  unique country churches. The shapes. The windows. Some with stained glass. There are none here. I don’t think this building needs fancy glass. The arches are simply enough.  Arches pointed towards Heaven.watkinsville church 2010 007

This wooden piece sits on the front entry. I don’t know what it is. I like it. The egg shape speaks of life.

Christ told Peter the Church would never be defeated. Matthew16:18 “…On this rock I will build my church, and the power of death will not be able to defeat it.”

Peter went on to become a martyr of the early church.

 

grace surrounds us

Olive

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post.
    Thank you so much for visiting my blog-
    We are all on this exciting journey (blogging) together.

    I love your closing- grace surrounds us.
    How comforting.

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos, Olive, I have always loved country churches, this one is a beauty. The windows and the architecture are amazing.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE these images. I hope the community is using this lovely for some useful purposes! I can just see it as exhibition space for art shows or quilt shows....or any number of important gatherings.
    Enjoy your weekend, Olive! xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a magnificent structure!

    I love how you closed your post, with the scripture. You have a wonderful spirit, Olive.

    Have a great weekend!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments. They are like finding unexpected chocolates. olive